(1) A connection between an electrical device and a large conducting body, such as the earth (which is taken to be at zero voltage)
(2) The concerns of this life as distinguished from heaven and the afterlife
"They consider the church to be independent of the world"
(3) The abode of mortals (as contrasted with heaven or hell)
"It was hell on earth"
(4) The 3rd planet from the sun; the planet we live on
"The Earth moves around the sun"
"He sailed around the world"
(5) The solid part of the earth's surface
"The plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"
"The earth shook for several minutes"
"He dropped the logs on the ground"
(6) The loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface
"They dug into the earth outside the church"
(7) Once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
(8) Connect to the earth
"Earth the circuit"
(9) Hide in the earth like a hunted animal