(1) Anything serving as a representation of a person's thinking by means of symbolic marks
(2) Writing that provides information (especially information of an official nature)
(3) (computer science) a computer file that contains text (and possibly formatting instructions) using seven-bit ASCII characters
(4) A written account of ownership or obligation
(5) Support or supply with references
"Can you document your claims?"
(6) Record in detail
"The parents documented every step of their child's development"
- An original or official paper relied upon as the basis, proof, or support of anything else, including any writing, book, or other instrument conveying information pertinent to such proof or support. Any material substance on which the thoughts of men are represented by any species of conventional mark or symbol.
- That which is taught or authoritatively set forth; precept; instruction; dogma.
- An example for instruction or warning.
- To record in documents.
- He documented each step of the process as he did it, which was good when the investigation occurred.
- To furnish with documents or papers necessary to establish facts or give information.
- A ship should be documented according to the directions of law.