(1) Disagreeing, especially with a majority
(2) Characterized by departure from accepted beliefs or standards
(3) A person who dissents from some established policy
dissidens, -entis, present participle of dissidere to sit apart, to disagree; dis- + sedere to sit.
- In a manner that disagrees; dissenting; discordant; different.
- A person who formally opposes the current political structure, opposes the political group in power, opposes the policies of the political group in power, or opposes current laws.
- One who disagrees or dissents; one who separates from the established religion.