(1) Have faith or confidence in
"You can count on me to help you any time"
"Look to your friends for support"
"You can bet on that!"
"Depend on your family in times of crisis"
(2) Be contingent upon (something that is elided)
- To hang down; to be sustained by being fastened or attached to something above.
- To hang in suspense; to be pending; to be undetermined or undecided; as, a cause depending in court.
- To rely on for support; to be conditioned or contingent; to be connected with anything, as a cause of existence, or as a necessary condition; — followed by on or upon, formerly by of.
- To trust; to rest with confidence; to rely; to confide; to be certain; — with on or upon; as, we depend on the word or assurance of our friends; we depend on the mail at the usual hour.
- To serve; to attend; to act as a dependent or retainer.