(1) Not elegant or graceful in expression
"An awkward prose style"
"A clumsy apology"
"His cumbersome writing style"
"If the rumor is true, can anything be more inept than to repeat it now?"
(2) Difficult to handle or use especially because of size or weight
"A cumbersome piece of machinery"
"Cumbrous protective clothing"
- burdensome or hindering, as a weight or drag; vexatious; cumbrous.
- Not easily managed or handled; awkward
- Cumbersome machines can endanger operators and slow down production.
- Hard, difficult, demanding to handle or get around with
- A slaves' work was as cumbersome as toiling on the fields, or in the mines.
- Inert, lumbering, slow in movement
- The heavier a ship is loaded, the more cumbersome it gets to moor