(1) Any spatial attributes (especially as defined by outline)
"He could barely make out their shapes"
(2) An arrangement of parts or elements
"The outcome depends on the configuration of influences at the time"
- Form, as depending on the relative disposition of the parts of a thing's shape; figure.
- Relative position or aspect of the planets; the face of the horoscope, according to the relative positions of the planets at any time.
- The way things are arranged or put together in order to achieve a result.
- The arrangement of electrons in an atom, molecule, or other physical structure like a crystal.