(1) Complicated in structure; consisting of interconnected parts
"A complex set of variations based on a simple folk melody"
"A complex mass of diverse laws and customs"
(2) A whole structure (as a building) made up of interconnected or related structures
(3) A conceptual whole made up of complicated and related parts
"The complex of shopping malls, houses, and roads created a new town"
(4) (psychoanalysis) a combination of emotions and impulses that have been rejected from awareness but still influence a person's behavior
(5) A compound described in terms of the central atom to which other atoms are bound or coordinated
From , from , pp. of , from and .
- Made up of multiple parts; intricate or detailed.
- Not simple or straightforward.
- Of a number, of the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the square root of −1.
- complex function
- A curve, polygon or other figure that crosses or intersects itself.
Synonymsdetailed, intricate complicated, difficult, hard, involved, tough
- A problem.
- A collection of buildings with a common purpose, such as a university or military base.
- A psychologically based dislike or fear of a particular thing.
- Jim has a real complex about working for a woman boss.
- A thunderstorm that forms when two storm fronts collide.
- A structure consisting of a central atom or molecule weakly connected to surrounding atoms or molecules.
- To form a complex with another substance