(1) Evidence that helps to solve a problem
(2) A slight indication
(3) Roll into a ball
Variant of clew, "a ball of thread or yarn", with reference to the one which the mythical Theseus used to guide him out of the Minotaur's labyrinth.
- Information which may lead one to a certain point or conclusion.
- An object or a kind of indication which may be used as evidence.
Often used ironically in everyday usage in the US, exaggerating the hiddenness of the information constituting the clue, and thereby belittling the alertness and/or intelligence of the person lacking the information. In ordinary usage, 'clues' are normally associated with the investigation of unsolved crimes, especially murders; and in particular, the process of deducing what actually took place after collecting information about these events.
- To provide with a clue (often used with "in" or "up").
- To provide someone with information which he or she lacks.
- Smith, clue Jones in on what's been happening.