(1) Of or characteristic of a form or system felt to be of first significance before modern times
(2) Of recognized authority or excellence
"The definitive work on Greece"
"Classical methods of navigation"
(3) Traditional genre of music conforming to an established form and appealing to critical interest and developed musical taste
- Of or relating to the first class or rank, especially in literature or art.
- Of or pertaining to the ancient Greeks and Romans, esp. to Greek or Roman authors of the highest rank, or of the period when their best literature was produced; of or pertaining to places inhabited by the ancient Greeks and Romans, or rendered famous by their deeds.
- Conforming to the best authority in literature and art; chaste; pure; refined; as, a classical style.