(1) The science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
The way two individuals relate to each other
"Their chemistry was wrong from the beginning -- they hated each other"
"A mysterious alchemy brought them together"
First coined 1605 < < < < < article + < < < .
- The branch of natural science that deals with the composition and constitution of substances and the changes that they undergo as a consequence of alterations in the constitution of their molecules.
- An application of chemical theory and method to a particular substance.
- the chemistry of iron
- the chemistry of indigo
- The mutual attraction between two people; rapport.
- Historical note: This word and its derivatives were formerly spelled chy- or sometimes chi- (i.e., chymistry, chymist, chymical, etc., or chimistry, chimist, chimical, etc.) with pronunciation depending on the spelling.