(1) Any projection that is thought to resemble a human arm
"The arm of the record player"
"An arm of the sea"
"A branch of the sewer"
(2) An administrative division of some larger or more complex organization
"A branch of Congress"
(3) A stream or river connected to a larger one
(4) A natural consequence of development
(5) A division of a stem, or secondary stem arising from the main stem of a plant
(6) A part of a forked or branching shape
"He broke off one of the branches"
(7) Divide into two or more branches so as to form a fork
"The road forks"
(8) Grow and send out branches or branch-like structures
"These plants ramify early and get to be very large"
- The woody part of a tree arising from the trunk and usually dividing
- Something that divides like the branch of a tree
- A location of an organization with several locations.
- Our main branch is downtown, and we have branches in all major suburbs.
- A subdivision of the LDS Church, smaller than and part of a stake, but smaller than a ward.
- An area in business or of knowledge, research
- The certificate given by Trinity House to a pilot qualified to take navigational control of a ship in British waters
- branch banking
- branch line
- branch office
- main branch