(1) The act of appearing in public view
"The rookie made a brief appearance in the first period"
"It was Bernhardt's last appearance in America"
(2) Pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression
"They try to keep up appearances"
"That ceremony is just for show"
(3) Formal attendance (in court or at a hearing) of a party in an action
(4) Outward or visible aspect of a person or thing
(5) A mental representation
"I tried to describe his appearance to the police"
(6) The event of coming into sight
From , from , from .
- The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye.
- His sudden appearance surprised me.
- A thing seen; a phenomenon; an apparition.
- There was a strange appearance in the sky.
- Personal presence; look; aspect; mien.
- And now am come to see . . . It thy appearance answer loud report. --Milton.
- apparent likeness; external show; how something appears to others.
- There was upon the tabernacle, as it were, the appearance of fire. --Num. ix. 15.
- For man looketh on the outward appearance. --1 Sam. xvi. 7.
- Judge not according to the appearance. --John. vii. 24.
- The act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character.
- A person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator.
- David Beckham's first appearance with the LA Galaxy at Giants Stadium against the New York Red Bulls last night drew a crowd of 66237.
- Will he now retire, After appearance, and again prolong Our expectation? --John Milton.
- The coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction.
- , chiefly used by nurses: the act of defecation by a patient.
- The patient had a small bowel obstruction and there was no appearance until after the obstruction resolved.