(1) The last book of the New Testament; contains visionary descriptions of heaven and of conflicts between good and evil and of the end of the world; attributed to Saint John the apostle
(2) A cosmic cataclysm in which God destroys the ruling powers of evil
From "revelation", from ἀπό, from, and κάλυψο, secret. Because of the subject matter of the Bible book of the same name, and it being the last book of the Bible, it has come to be associated with "ending."
- The end of life on earth or all.
- The deteriorating ecology of the planet leads many scientists to believe we are nearing an apocalypse.
- An event with very serious consequences.
- We need to reorganise the mortgage in the light of the looming financial apocalypse.
- a revealing or revelation
- The early development of Perl 6 was punctuated by a series of apocalypses by Larry Wall.