(1) (computer science) the assignment of particular areas of a magnetic disk to particular data or instructions
(2) The act of distributing by allotting or apportioning; distribution according to a plan
"The apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives is based on the relative population of each state"
(3) A share set aside for a specific purpose
- The process or procedure for allocating things, especially money or other resources.
- The allocation of new permits is on a first-come, first-serve basis.