(1) Termination of pregnancy
(2) Failure of a plan
- The cessation of pregnancy or fetal development; a miscarriage.
- An induced abortion.
- The act of inducing abortion.
- The immature product of an untimely birth.
- Arrest of development of any organ, so that it remains an imperfect formation or is absorbed.
- Any fruit or produce that does not come to maturity, or anything which is interrupted in its progress before it is matured or perfect.
- The act of aborting a project, a mission, etc, before it is completed.
- Something ugly, an artistic atrocity.
- 1846, Charles Dickens, Pictures from Italy, Chapter 10.
- Insomuch that I do honestly believe, there can be no place in the world, where such intolerable abortions, begotten of the sculptor’s chisel, are to be found in such profusion, as in Rome.